It is currently Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Alex Ross
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:54 am 

Alex Ross: Wow, this guy got me back into comics. I've never seen comic art like his before.

I wish I had never read his Kingdom Come book. I've blown sooooo much money on comics not one tenth as good since then. When I think about it I feel stabbing pains in my wallet that makes me cry.

I know he's working on 'Justice'. I just got his Shazam book but haven't read it yet.

Anyone have any idea what else he is working on, or might have done before Kingdom?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:47 am 

I recommend "Marvels", his take on the Silver Age through the wyes of a reporter.

I also recommend the "Earth X" trilogy (Earth X, Universe X, Paradise X). Ross did the covers for it, as well as came up with the initial concept of it. It's long, but a helluva good read.

The sequel to Kingdom Come, "The Kingdom", was lackluster, though the issue about the resturant of ghosts was great for that Batman moment.

I did like the recent Space Ghost series that Ross did the covers for. Was an interesting take on the character.

Ross has done more covers then anything, afaik. He sure makes pretty things though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:07 am 

I have to agree that "The Kingdom" was lackluster. Never finished it. That bit about Batman and a restaurant of ghosts does intrigue me. I may have to take another look.

I haven't heard of "Marvels".

I have heard of the "Earth X" trilogy, but I was avoiding for reasons I can't now recall. I may have to take a look.

Ales Ross doing Space Ghost? Space Ghost? The 60's cartoon guy with the talk show in the Cartoon Network? That Space Ghost? You kidding? That's something I've heard absolutely nothing about. Space Ghost? Still sounds bizarre. No matter how many times I say it. Space Ghost? I think I just might have to look that up when I clean out my comic box later this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:07 am 

He did Marvels before he did Kingdom Come. He was doing Terminator comics for NOW for a while before it caught Marvel's Attention. There was a what if of Marvels called "Ruins", which I recommend reading only AFTER you've read Marvels.

Yes, Space Ghost. Ross did the covers (which was freakin awesome). The comic itself is NOT done by Ross, but is a damn interesting take on the character.

The problem with the Earth X trilogy was that it was never really finished. The ending of Paradise X was not what it was supposed to be. There was supposed to be another 4-6 issue series to end the whole thing, but it wasn't produced. Still a good read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:16 am 

He was doing Terminator comics too? I've got a lot to catch upon!

Space Ghost though... I still can't believe...SPACE GHOST!?

I will have to check that out next time I clean my comic box.

I've see all those other books on the store shelves. When next I see those titles, I'm going to at least flip through them.

Post subject: Re: Alex Ross
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:45 am 

Don't you love the nasty looks the comic store guys give you when you just "flip through" a comic.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:45 pm 

The Terminator books were done in the late 80s/early 90s. Wizard put out an Alex Ross special a few years ago, that is simply phenominal (I need to replace my copy). It's out of print, but it's got all the little homages and in-jokes to his work up to a certain point.

I love his big wall posters. I need to get a few myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:54 am 

Speaking of Alex Ross, has anyone heard anything about Superpowers?

I heard this was a new book by Alex that was supposed to come out in December '07, but I haven't seen it at the local comic shop. Also, I have been unable to glean any more info about it online either.

I keep forgetting to ask the guys at the comic shop about it.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]