It is currently Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: My Wii is blinking at me...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:08 am 

and I don't know why!

Actually, I've noticed this a lot lately.

The Wii, when 'OFF', starts blinking from time to time, with many of those times being odd times.

It is a somewhat surreal experience to be transversing the living room floor in the dark of the night on your way to the kitchen refrigerator to grab a late glass of milk, and then notice that there is this blue pulsing vertical eye next to your TV... watching you, staring at you, and at times even winking at you!

Then you realize it's just the damn Wii reporting back to Nintendo on you.

Blue... pulsing... Pulsing, oscillating lights aren't supposed to be evil unless they are red? Right? Well, I imagine that wouldn't hold true for KITT -but didn't KITT have an evil clone of him made? Mebbe the Wii is some sort of newphew? He was a bit of a runt so they stuck him in a console instead of a car? Or the Wii could be the granddaddy of the Cylons... yeah, the little Wii got tired of people picking on it's graphics, so it evolved into human like machines to wipe out the critics, and anything that might produce another critic - that being potentially every other human on the planet.

The Blue eye of the Wii... actually, I bet the Wii is Sauron's little brother. Instead of being a massive flaming eye that would raise armies to conquer the world and spread terror, it turned out to be a diminutive blue eye, interested only spreading pain trough your body, and giving you mild migraines by making you continually raise your arm and shake your hand at him...

Yeah, you can add this unfinished tale to the Music of the Ainur
Nintendo Wii: Lord of Minor Pains!

It's late... should not write so late... mind tends to wander into those zones only tended by rouge dreams...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:17 pm 

It's when it blinks red is when it's bad...

And when it starts calling you Dave....

The horrror, the HOORRRRRORRRR!!!!

Post subject: Why the Wii Blinks or Pulses: Nintendo's response
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:52 am 

Ok, so I finally got around to writing Nintendo and asking them what was up with the blinking Wii. Here's what they said:

Quote:
Message(#6851-000641-8340\6418340)

Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

This blue light is normal. The disc slot only lights up when the
system is turned on (either by the power button or by inserting a disc), or
if the WiiConnect24 settings are set to have a pulse when an update has
been received. The light will stop pulsing when a disc is played.

Thank you for your e-mail.

Nintendo of America Inc.

Nintendo's home page: http://www.nintendo.com/

I don't remember setting WiiConnect24 to pulse when an update is received. I get messages from Nintendo every now and then that tell me I need to update to receive new functionality. It seems to me that if I was set up to get updates automatically, I wouldn't have to download them again to use them!

Gonna have to ask them about that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:39 am 

Haven't wrote Nintendo back yet, but I have noticed one thing:
since I change my wireless broadcast channel on my wireless router, I haven't noticed my Wii blinking anymore.

If anyone wants more info on that, look for the post labeled:
Wii has poor Internet Connection. Downloads stall or fail.

This documents some of the problems I've had with Internet access on the Wii.

Ever since I fixed that problem, I haven't noticed my Wii blinking all the time when it's off. (Which it used to do ALL the time it was off)

It might still do it, and I just haven't noticed. But used to, when it started blinking, it wouldn't stop until I turned the unit on. Now, I haven't noticed it doing that at all. Or if it still does, it's blinking when I'm not looking.

Post subject: Turn off the blinking Wii light
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:18 pm 

Found some more info on this.

While looking around in my Wii system settings, I noticed settings for 'Slot Illumination' in the WiiConnect24 settings page (that's located on the bottom of the second Wii Settings page). So I guess you can turn off the blinking Wii here.

You also have the option to turn WiiConnect24 off - if you do that I guess you'll disable your internet based channels such as the news, weather, and shop channel.

You can also disable the standby connection here too. I'm assuming if you do that, the Wii will really be off.

I guess the 24 in Wiiconnect24 means your system is really active at all times.

According to Wikipedia, depending on your system settings, when your Wii is online but in 'Standby' mode, it will blink when when some sort of message is received.

Here's a bit of text from that site:

Quote:
WiiConnect24 is used to receive content such as Wii Message Board messages sent from other Wii consoles, Miis, e-mails, updated channel and game content, and notification of software updates. If the Standby Connect mode of WiiConnect24 is enabled, this content can also be received when the Wii is left in standby mode. While running in standby mode with Standby Connection enabled, the Wii uses about 9.6 watts, compared to 1.3 watts without WiiConnect24.[2]

WiiConnect24 can be turned on or off via the Setup Interface. If it is on, the user is allowed to enable or disable Standby Connect mode. While the system is in standby, the Power LED indicates the current status of the standby connection, red indicating Standby Connect is off, orange indicating Standby Connect mode is on. If the power button on the console is pressed and held down for three to four seconds, the Wii will go into standby mode with Standby Connect off. If the Wii is cut off from power and power is later restored, it will go into standby mode with Standby Connect mode off and WiiConnect24 will not operate until the console is turned on.

The Wii Optical Drive will glow a neon-blue color when data has been received through WiiConnect24 in Standby Connect mode and, with firmware 3.0 and above, when the console is on. The brightness level of this blue color can be changed via the Setup Interface with the options of Bright, Dim or Off.

So, I guess, there you go!

Post subject: More info on WiiConnect24
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:30 pm 

Mii Channel, Forecast Channel, News Channel, Everybody Votes Channel, and
Check Mii Out Channel use WiiConnect24.

You can share Miis over the internet with Mii Channel.

The Forecast Channel and News Channel will get updates while in standby mode.

I'm pretty sure the Everybody Votes Channel does this too.

You'll get messages sent to you from Nintendo on your message board if you use Check Mii Out Channel (and don't tell them to stop sending messages).

Personally, I've left this standby functionality on. Mainly because I like having the news readily available.

It would be nice is someone at Nintendo thought to clearly state the reason for the blinking Wii. It might be stated somewhere, but I would say it's not clear...

At least it doesn't indicate a problem.

Post subject: Re: My Wii is blinking at me...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:24 am 

#1 on Google Search!!!!

ZOMG!!!!! \:D/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:14 am 

Yep, that Wii blinking is defiantly tied to getting updates and messages from WiiConnect24.

I sent a friend of mine a virtual console game (I was curious how it worked).

After a few hours, I called him up and asked if he had got it yet. He told me he had just received it, and he had just sent me a thank you note back. I walked into my living room to check on the Wii, and lo and behold, it was blinking. I powered the console up, and saw that I had two messages. One was from Nintendo telling me that my game had been accepted, and another was from the friend that I had sent the virtual console game to.

So, there you go, again.

More observances on Wii blinkage.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:57 am 

Yep, saw that blinking light again.

Nintendo was letting know they had updated the "Check Mii Out" channel.

The message that came in was one of those that had the "Update" button. I assumed hitting that button would update the the "Check Mii Out" channel, but apparently it didn't. I was able to update that program in the online Wii store though.

[B.A.]

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]