It is currently Sun May 16, 2021 8:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Steam
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:22 am 

So, what's everyones take on Valve's Steam?

I'll tell you mine here:

I know it's been around for a while, but I still refuse to use it.

Here's a bit from my previous spat on it:
They may call Steama content delivery system, but in my eyes, it's nothing but an elaborate spyware system. You might say the same about XBox Live, but I wouldn't really equate the two. My computer is quite a different beast from my 360. You expect Microsoft to go snooping around your game system with Live (hell, Windows too), you really have no choice. However, I'm not having some random game developer think they can force that same scenario on me with my own personal computer.

The fact (unless they've changed it) that you can't play a game without first connecting to Steam really really bugs me. If my game is an online game, I expect that I have to be online to play it. If my game is a single player game, then I shouldn't have to connect to the internet to enjoy it.

What about when the day comes that Valve shuts down and Steam no longer functions? Unlikely for that to happen anytime soon, but when it does happen, all of your Steam products will be toast.

I still have most of my Atari 2600 and Intelevision games from my youth. And you know what? They still work. I can still play Combat on the original console if for some odd reason I really want to.

I guess it's also a bit of a security blanket for me. I like to own what I pay for. They say you don't own the software or even the music you buy. That really bugs me. You buy permission to use it, hear it, play it, and I'm surprised they don't charge extra if you actually manage to enjoy it. You are at the copyright owner's whim. Valve can cancel your 'license' with impunity if they so choose. Nearly anyone who makes software can do that also it seems. But these guys have taken it to a whole new level. That annoys the hell out of me. My stuff is my stuff, unless some says it isn't, apparently. I'm pretty sure someone is going to patent the breathing process soon. This someone will 'discover' some 'unique way' to breath, and then find out everyone has copied his or her idea, and then sue all life.

The Valve cancel thing? I've seen it. I have a friend who's father has bought four copies of Day of Defeat, only to have Valve cancel each one for vague unclear reasons.

If they ever release a version of Half-Life 2 that I can play without having to connect to Steam with, I'll get it. If they have already, please let me know. Till then, Valve will get no more money form me.

Due to license restrictions, I may not be allowed to own my games anymore, but I would at least like to enjoy the illusion that I do.

Post subject: A LITTLE MORE HISTORY
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:30 am 

In addition to the ownership issue, Valve annoyed on another front with Steam: Customer Service.

For a brief moment in time, I did tango with that beast.

I had enjoyed Half-Life and it's mods so much that I bought four copies of that game to play on the LAN at my place. Once Steam came out, you had to install it to be able to continue to play your games online. I upgraded all of my clients to Steam, and after doing that, none of them ever worked right again. The boys at Valve offered no help either. Messages were never returned, and all of the suggestions on the forums offered me no help.

I did manage to get my games to play in 'offline mode', but as soon as any of them connected to Steam, they crashed.

Valve? No help.

None at all.

Steam?

Out of it.

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]